Gwrych Castle is a first-class listed country house in North Wales and is one of the first attempts to recreate true medieval architecture in Europe. Situated on 250 acres of parks and land, it offers extensive views of ancient parks, including a deer park and the Irish Sea. Gwrych Castle Lloyd Hesket was built by Bamford-Hesket from 1812 to 1822 as a monument to his maternal ancestor Lloyd of Grich. By 1810, Elizabeth’s house was in a state of disrepair. The main building was completed in 1825. During this time married Lady Emily Esther Ann Lygon, daughter of the 1st Earl of Beauchamp I. It is said that many important architects and designers were associated with Castle and Estate. For example, the specialist of Charles Augustus Busby and Thomas Rickman was utilized by Hesketh in the overall design of Gwrych, and in particular the cast iron windows. In the 1840s, Henry Kennedy was employed to expand the castle, including a new bedroom floor, staircase, and porch, and the interior was provided by George Bullock and Cruces. When Lloyd died, Castle moved to
Robert Bamford-Hesketh and his wife, Ellen Jones-Bateman. George Edmund Street built the family church in the 1870s and also built several churches and schools for the Hesket family. Robert and Ellen planted many of the present gardens with their giant monkey puzzles and yu trees.
More about the history of Gwrych Castle
Gwrych Castle was built by Lloyd Hesketh Bamford Hesketh, heir apparent to Lloyds of Gwrych since 1810. The palace later moved to the Earls of Dundonald by marrying Winifred, the heiress of the Bamford Hesketh. The palace was purchased by Leslie Salts in 1948 and opened as the ‘Showroom of Wales’ for 20 years. After the sale of the Salt in 1968, the palace functioned as a medieval entertainment center, entertaining, banqueting, and marketplace. It also marked a period of slow decline, with the building closing to the public in 1985 and the final collapse in 1987. In 1990, an American property bought the estate with the intention of creating an opera center and a hotel – nothing worked. Instead, the castle was left without assets and its future was in doubt.