Chateau Miranda is a new Gothic fort located near the small village of Seles in the Namur region of Belgium. Also known as the Noisy Palace, this palace is a precious pearl hidden in the mountains and forests of Ardennes. Unfortunately, since 1991, that beautiful place has reportedly been completely abandoned. Today the palace is in a very dilapidated condition, especially with its interior crumbling and ruined. Although the face of the unique fairy tale look is still proud, there are no known projects to renovate the building. In December 2013, the owners of the palace formally applied for a permit for the demolition, which began in October 2016 with the removal of the conical Gothic rooftops. Half of the beautiful castle has now been demolished but the project has been halted for unknown reasons and now the palace is slowly falling to the ground. After that, its charm remains only in people’s memories. Everything has its own beginning and its own end. The same is true of Chateau Miranda.
Chateau Miranda was originally built as a residence of French aristocrats fleeing the Guillotine. During the French Revolution, the Liedekerke-De Beaufort family, politically active and loyal to the French king, were forced to leave Veves Castle in the Wallon area of southern Belgium. After years of hiding, they decided to build their new summer home on the site. Construction on the property began in 1866 with Edward Milner, a pioneering English architect and one of the favorite architects of the Victorian garden movement. According to reports, he died while construction was underway. The cause of his death is still unknown and a mystery.
Construction of the palace was completed in 1907 after the completion of the 183-foot clock tower. The Gothic design of that year’s architect’s vision came to life beautifully at last. When building a castle, it is remarkable that its design and architecture blend in with the landscape to create a vision that can come out of an imaginary world.
The family lived in the palace until the start of World War II. A small battle took place near the castle of Bulge, and Chateau Miranda was captured by German soldiers. After the war, in fact, in 1950, the castle was taken over by the Belgian National Railways (NMBS / SNCB). They used the building until the late 1970s as an orphanage and vacation home for sick children. It was part of the NMBS / SNCB and the palace became known as the Château de Noise.
A few more photos of the beautiful castles