Hum mansion, a house in Muskegon, Michigan, located at 472 West Webster Avenue. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and is now open to the public as part of the Hackley and Hume Historic Sites.In 1870, Thomas Hume (1848-1920), an Irish immigrant, arrived in Muskegon. He began working as a bookkeeper for Charles Hackley’s lumber company in 1872. Charles Hackley and Thomas Hume formed the highly successful lumbering firm Hackley and Hume in 1881. Both Hackley and Hume diversified into other manufacturing and financial interests as the lumber business declined.
Hackley bought a series of lots on the corner of Webster and Sixth in 1887. He immediately sold one-half of these lots to Thomas Hume and built his own home on the other half. To design his home, Hume hired architect David S. Hopkins (who also designed Hackley’s mansion). In 1888, it was completed. After the turn of the century, the Hume family expanded the house. A library, dining room, and sleeping porch have been added.
This was the home of Thomas Hume until his death in 1920. The house was sold to a daycare center in the early 1950s, and ownership was transferred to the Hackley Heritage Association in 1971. The Hackley and Hume houses were professionally renovated in 2017. The “Hackley & Hume Historic Sites” have been restored and are open to the public.